Monday, October 1, 2007

Right by Occident

Though it really was unintentional that little video bit I posted seems much more appropriate after reading a bit of the history of the Middle East. I'd known, from a past professor mentioning it, that the west had totally messed up the Israel/Palestine area but I guess I'd never been 100% clear on just how it happened. That's awful! How could they/we promise an area to two peoples at the same time? Knowingly creating conflict and potentially civil war, this goes beyond irresponsible.
While the song may call it "an old man's war" it's hard not to understand why the wound continues to be fresh on both sides. Even reducing the issue to almost comical simplicity I could not imagine finding out tomorrow that Michigan had actually been promised to Canada and my choices were to become Canadian or leave. Even in this ridiculous context it'd get me wondering where my home was, on the one hand I'm American and my home would be in America, yet on the other I'm from Michigan and my home should be there. The recurring feeling of alienation that these peoples must deal with is simply staggering.

No comments: