Monday, November 19, 2007

You Have My Attention Mr. Pamuk


Recently there have been a few newsworthy Nobel prizes handed out for works of fiction, notably to a United States political figure, but when reading Pamuk a person really gets the sense that he deserves it. Now I'll gladly admit that I still have a ways to go before I'll be finished with The New Life, however I think I can still give a good, if only preliminary, review of the writing.

I still wholeheartedly believe, this book has only encouraged what I thought last week, that everyone should try to find a book by Pamuk that interests them and see how captivating his writing style really can be. That said, if I was to consider The White Castle easily approachable The New Life has been anything but, nearly half way through I'm not sure that I understand what's really going on; I'm not sure that I need to though, or want to. I can say that his writing style remains interesting and original enough to make the book hard to put down and that I still have faith that everything will make sense by the end.

Page by page reading through this work I find myself asking questions and wondering why, much like in The White Castle, certain thinks are refered to only by pronouns. Originally I assumed that they were simply MacGuffins ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin ) however I doubt that now. Some of the real fun of these books, for me, has been trying to work out (both while reading and after) just what the hell everything means.


"I read a book one day and my whole life was changed."

This beginning line to The New Life seems like a great example of Pamuk from what I know of him now.



Before you think it, I understand that you may not like these books as much as I do and upon reading them may wonder how I found them so facinating (though I doubt it). By far the most important thing about all of his writing, in my opinion, has been his truly unique writing style, I hope (if you get a chance to read him) you will at least appreciate that.

No comments: