Monday, November 12, 2007

Not Just Good


This book was solidly the best read I've had in the last year at least. I'm not someone who reads books in one or two sittings as I generally like to get up and go do something else every 50 pages or so but I read this book in two sittings over a span of less than 24 hours.
Why is it so good? I could easily tell you all about the plot and character development making this a fun and interesting read, but I've already said I liked the book so let's leave that as assumed. Pamuk has a wandering and almost dreamlike style of writing that on the one hand allows the reader to believe the characters may have actually existed but upon reflection makes him or her feel as they'd been hypnotized for a time.
As for who should read this book, in my opinion everyone, but it's probably most appropriate for high schoolers and above. There are definitely a good number of words refering to things specific to the Middle Eastern culture that are simply not explained, it is asssumed the reader is familiar with these already which could make it a bit tough on anyone without a good international vocabulary. By far the best part of this book is it's real presentation of the old culture of the Middle East, a kind of fair presentation that most westerners are want to find even in their history books. This presentation of the culture is guaranteed to open the eyes and mind of anyone beginning to be interested in Middle Eastern studies, along with anyone who picks the book up for fun.
Enough analysis, what I mean to say is basicly this: If you have time to read just one book in the next year do yourself a favor and make it this book.
It's so unlike me to really like any new novel...

No comments: