Monday, September 24, 2007

I Dream of Jinni

After now having read a few stories from 1001 Nights I find the idea of the race of Jinn and of the role of magic both to be fascinating. First, the idea that the jinn are not always, and sometimes it seems hardly ever, friendly is totally against my previous idea of what a “genie” was supposed to be like. Granted there may have been a few popular horror movies that portrayed this race to be evil, which still doesn’t compare to a hugely successful Disney movie along with a very famous TV series when it comes to shaping my concept of what a “genie” is. I think, had I been asked a few months ago whether or not I’d fear meeting a jinni I’d have laughed as I imagined the genie from Aladdin. But to meet the jinn from The Trader and the Jinni or from The Story of King Shahryar would certainly be terrifying; I’m shocked that the modern portrayal could have gotten these beings so wrong.

2 comments:

Frankie E. Velazquez said...

I totally agree with you, the Jinni from the Fisherman story completely shattered my beliefs of genies. I had no idea that jinnis were so terrifying, and if I had the chance to meet a genie now I don't think I would.

Allen Webb said...

This post is a good reason why you need to start putting images on your blog! I would love to see an image here from the old "I Dream of Genie"!